Saturday, December 1, 2012

They Bow Down

In Isaiah chapter 2, the prophet is speaking to the people of Judah and Jerusalem when he says God has rejected them "...because they are full of things from the east and of fortunetellers like the Philistines...Their land is filled with silver and gold, and there is no end to their treasures; their land is filled with horses, and there is no end to their chariots. Their land is filled with idols; they bow down to the work of their hands, to what their own fingers have made." (vs 6-8)

Just prior to this he has told them God is not pleased with their worship, He despises their sacrifices and celebrations because of their sin. But God also says, "Come now, let us reason together...though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool." (Isaiah 1:18)

As I read this I thought about idols we have today; how full we are of silver and gold and houses and cars...and technology. We have plenty of things and always seem to want more. Just look at the people who camp in front of stores for black Friday and stores that used to close on Thanksgiving but are now open so we can shop, shop, shop. The more we have the more we are likely to make "the work of our hands" an idol.

Our idols may not be getting the latest toy or car or computer or iPhone but may be getting the latest twitter or Facebook update or having the most followers or getting the most retweets. Idolatry comes in lots of different forms.

As a follower of Jesus Christ my salvation is assured and the scarlet stains of my sins have been erased. But is God pleased with my worship? Do I show up at church on Sunday with nary a thought of God all week and expect Him to tell me I'm a good girl because I sang a few songs and listened to a preacher? Do I treat God as my personal Santa to give me what I ask for without asking Him what He wants for me to have?

Do I really bow down to the Creator of the universe, the Savior of my soul, or do I bow to the world and its trinkets and secretly hope He doesn't notice? This Christmas I want to renew my focus on the marvelous gift of salvation freely given to me and to all who believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God, who died for my sins, and rose from the dead three days later.

Giving gifts at Christmas is an expression of love but I want to be sure the love of Christ is the gift I share the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment