Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Thankfulness

One of the things I'm really working toward with God is being more thankful. Rather than always asking Him for something just taking time to say "Thank You!"

Not being thankful is taking God's grace and provision for granted. I have so much and too often I fail to acknowledge that all I have comes from God. So what DO I have that I need to be thankful for?

My family - my son, daughter-in-law, grandson and granddaughter. We have a great relationship and are able to share life together.
My health - I don't take any medications for any conditions and at age 63 that is a gift straight from God.
My car - 14 years old but still chugging along - and it was free when I got in back in 2005.
My home - small townhouse that I bought in 2007. The bank stills owns more of it than I do but it is the only debt I have. Good neighborhood, good location, cheaper than rent.
My friends - I have friends that I get to go places with, laugh with, cry with. They enrich my life in so many ways.
America - I don't ever want to take for granted that I live in a free country. Of course it's not perfect but to have been born in this country, to me, is a huge blessing.
My church - God led me to the greatest church ever. Through my church He has allowed me to participate in life change with countless numbers of people.
My salvation - This is the greatest gift of all. To think that God loves me, ME! so much that He sacrificed His Son to pay the penalty for my sins. It overwhelms me every time I think about it!
My life - Waking up each morning, taking another breath, is a precious gift. One day I will leave this earth to be with Jesus for eternity but until that time, I will be thankful for each new day.
Food and water - I live where food prices are reasonable and the water is good and plentiful. There have been droughts and we have been told not to water lawns or wash cars but always have water for drinking, cooking, bathing.
Indoor plumbing and electricity - I love being able to flip a switch to have lights or air conditioning or heat. And if you've ever used an outhouse or port-a-potty, being able to flush a toilet is great.
Sunshine and rain - we need both and God controls them so I will be thankful for each.
Seasons - I love season change. Leaves are beginning to change now as the days get shorter and cooler. Each season has it's own reasons to be enjoyed. Spring of course is the time of renewal and Easter; flowers bloom, grass is green, trees get new leaves, the air begins to warm. Summer is hot but that makes for great times at the pool or the lake. Trees provide needed shade. It's also the main vacation time so life often moves at a slower pace with picnics and cookouts and long days. Autumn is cool relief from the heat of summer. Leaves begin to change colors and fall from the trees. Halloween and Thanksgiving are celebrated. Winter is Christmas and New Year's and maybe even snow. The bright green of evergreens can be seen in contrast to the stark brown trunks and limbs of those trees bare of leaves. And as we've had just enough of the cold, short days here comes Spring again.

There is so very much to be thankful for and I don't ever want to miss the opportunity to thank God for blessing me with so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment