Thursday, October 13, 2011

Wasted Years

I have often thought of my wasted years as those years when I was living in rebellion and wandering as a prodigal, living life the way I wanted to. That is not an incorrect assessment because those were years that I wasted. Not only was my relationship with Christ wasted during those years but the relationship with my family as well. My parents and brother loved me through it all but I didn't allow that love to flow toward me or back toward them because of my sin.

I am so grateful that Jesus Christ never abandoned me. During those years in the wasteland He protected me in so many ways. But what I have begun to think about now is the waste found in the years since I returned home to my Father and Jesus. What am I doing today that will be burned up in the fire as wasted?

Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 3:12-15, "Now if anyone builds on the foundation [of Jesus Christ] with gold,  silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw - each one's work will become manifest, for the Day [of Judgement] will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire."


Gold, silver and precious stone will survive the fire; wood, hay, and straw will be burned up. So what types of things will survive? Love, for sure. Love God, love others. Jesus said these are the greatest commandments. (Mark 12:30-31)

Right attitudes. "...whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31) Doing the right things for the wrong reasons can cause them to be lost. (Matthew 23:1-3)

Proper use of resources given to me by God. "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:21) Am I generous with time, money and other resources? Do I allow them to multiply and build the kingdom of God by wise use? Or do I horde them out of fear? (Matthew 25:14-30)

I need to search my heart - and ask God to as well - to show me any areas I need to work on as I live this life in preparation for eternity. "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!" (Psalm 139:23-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment