Friday, July 27, 2012

How Will I Finish?

One of the saddest sections in the Bible to me is the first half of 1 Kings. This story starts strong with Solomon becoming king and praying for wisdom. The temple is built and furnished because God has selected Jerusalem as the place He will dwell. Solomon's prayer of dedication and the sacrifices he makes and God's response to them is inspiring. God pours out His blessing on Solomon so that he is the wisest - and richest - man in the world. All Israel sees peace and prosperity like never before.

But then Solomon grows old. And because he had sinned by marrying women God had forbidden, those women enticed Solomon away from God to worship the gods of their ancestors. This sin angered the Lord and He tore the kingdom away from Solomon. This tearing away also tore apart the country and Israel became a divided kingdom during the reign of Solomon's son.

After this division, Asa King of Judah reigned 41 years and "the heart of Asa was wholly true to the Lord all his days". In Israel, however, king after king "did evil in the sight of the Lord". There is war and betrayal and murder. One king ruled only 7 days before being murdered.

And it all started because Solomon did not finish well. So that is a huge question for me as I get older. How will I finish? Will I finish well or go down in flames of disgrace taking family and friends with me?

It might be easy to think I'm not anyone special like Solomon; I'm no ruler, no one particularly important. But I do have influence on those around me, on my children and grandchildren, on people I work and volunteer with, on those who cross my path by God's design. So it is important, not only for my sake but for those around me, that I finish well.

And how DO I finish well? Bible and prayer; prayer and Bible. Along with loving friends who are following Christ too and are willing to speak truth into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment