Tuesday, July 17, 2012

God Delights in Me

In 2 Samuel 22 there is a song King David wrote after God rescued him from his enemies and from Saul. It's a classic hymn of David, "The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; you save me from violence. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies." (ESV) 

This is a long song but the part that really struck me was in verse 20 when David declares, "...[God] recused me because he delights in me." That statement is enough to make me fall down in wonder and praise because that is true for me as well.

How amazing is it that God rescued me by sending Jesus because God delights in me? How do I know He delights in me? He's engraved me on the palm of His hand (Isaiah 49:15-16). He rejoices over me with singing (Zephaniah 3:17). He gives me gifts (Ephesians 2:8; James 1:17; Acts 2:38; Romans 6:23; John 3:16). He loved me when I didn't love Him (1 John 4:10; Romans 5:10).

I am so thankful that I don't have to earn God's love; I don't have to earn my salvation. I'm too frail, too weak, too sinful, too human to be able to ever be good enough to earn my way to God. The greatest proof of God's delight is that He knows all that so He came to me because I couldn't get to Him on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment