Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Vote

Voting is a privilege that I will exercise today. I am not thrilled with either candidate for President but there is not, for me, a don't vote option. Barack Obama and Mitt Romney are the choices so I will vote for one of them. I will also vote for the local candidates running for office and for the statewide amendment on the ballot for South Carolina.

I don't understand how God's sovereignty and my vote work together because I believe what the Bible says about God placing rulers over us. God will not be surprised or concerned or fretful over the outcome of this election because He has known long before today who the President will be. It bothers me to see all the hateful rhetoric from those who profess to be followers of Jesus Christ. They are not just denigrating the candidate but they are also denigrating God. "Let every person be subject to the ruling authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those that resist will incur judgment." (Romans 13:1-3 ESV)

When Paul wrote this the Jews were under the rule of the Roman Empire. The land God had given to them thousands of years ago was occupied by foreigners who had authority over them. The Christians were under intense persecution by the same Roman authorities as well as the Jewish religious leaders. And yet he tells them, don't resist. We know now that the Roman Empire came crashing down but at that time they could not see the end of it. Today the Jews are living in that same land as a free people.

Our problem is that we are too short-sighted. We only see what is going on right now and how it impacts me today. We live confined by time when God sees everything from beginning to end without that confinement. His plans are perfect even if I don't understand them.

I am making a commitment to pray for the President, whoever he is, and others in authority. That has been a lack in my life over the years and something that God would have me do. "First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (1 Timothy 2:1-3 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment