Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Next Steps

Sometimes I think at this stage of my life I should be able to sort of coast through life. I've paid my dues in work and volunteering and service. Some days I just get tired. Some days I just want to have responsibility for only me. But the Bible teaches that is not the way to live a life pleasing to God. I am always to be looking for the next step God wants me to take. 

God gave next steps to Abraham and Moses when they were in their 70s and 80s, old by today's standards but maybe not so old when people lived well into their 100s. Nevertheless, God doesn't shut me down just because I get a little age on me. The key is to not get so comfortable doing what I'm doing that I don't hear or listen to the voice of God.

I am about to take a next step in my volunteer life at NewSpring Church. I have served with Sunday production/media for almost 20 years. This has always been so exciting as I've run cameras or operated computers or did whatever was necessary, including live TV at my previous church, to make the presentation of the Sunday service available to those in attendance. Although I believe this is a "front lines" effort in the presentation of the Gospel, the people who serve are generally out of sight behind doors and curtains and rather isolated from the rest of the Church in attendance.

Now God is moving me out of my passion for the last 17-20 years and sending me in a new direction. This Sunday will be my first with Guest Services, starting as a Greeter. I don't know what God is up to in my life or how new responsibilities will develop in this area but I do know this is definitely not a behind the scenes area of ministry. 

For the past 10 months I have been caring for the Production Team without any weekly hands on responsibility. I have been responsible for scheduling, 1st serves, training, and generally encouraging the team. At first I was not sure I wanted to give up sitting in a chair and making things happen but I see now how God was using that time to prepare me for this transition to Guest Services.

I may be caring for a team there as well but more than that I may be caring for first time visitors. That is becoming my new passion; helping new people connect with NewSpring and know that we really are glad they are with us for the day. Another passion that is growing is actually being part of the 6pm service each week. Last Sunday night I got to do that and had the opportunity to pray with Linda who stood when the guest preacher asked for those struggling through a time of silence from God to stand and then asked those nearby to go pray for them.

I don't always know what God is up to in my life but I do know that I want to be obedient to every next step He puts before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment