Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Abiding in Christ

This morning I was reading in John chapter 15 about Jesus as the vine. This is one of Jesus' seven I AM statements recorded in John. This is a familiar passage that I have read numerous times. I'm sure I've though about it before, but today I began to really think about what it means to abide in Christ.

Abide means to remain, stay, continue, dwell. I often dwell ON Jesus, thinking about, Him studying about Him. But Jesus continually says in this passage abide IN Me. I should live my life believing everything He says is true. Then He becomes my shelter where I dwell in the comfort of Him. He becomes my fortress where I dwell in safety from the ravages of sin and death. He becomes my hope, my peace, my joy where I can dwell in the knowledge that He loves me extravagantly no matter what my circumstances may look like.

How do I know He loves me extravagantly? In John 15:10 Jesus says, "As the Father has loved Me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love." Jesus loves me in the same way, with the same passion, that God the Father loves God the Son. Wow!! A few verses later, in verse 16, Jesus even tells me that I did not choose Him but that He chose me! How great is that?! 

I want always to abide in Christ. To know Him intimately. To love Him extravagantly. To trust Him completely. To obey Him joyfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment