Monday, November 22, 2010

Retirement

I am now almost 3 months into my retirement. I must say that I like it. I was not sure I would because I had worked every day for 40+ years except for my yearly vacation and a few holidays. Money is doing OK although I have had times when I have had to fill the gas tank more often than before I retired (I went to Greenville 4 times one week). Being paid once a month is a new thing for me so that has been an adjustment.

I am volunteering regularly with Mobile Meals of Spartanburg but have turned down some volunteer opportunities because they sounded too much like work but just not getting paid for it. It is important to me that I am doing something that helps people more than just helping an organization. I am still trying to find the right balance between doing enough and not doing anything but sit in a chair and read.

Over time I may increase my "output" but right now, I am having lots of fun trolling the library and Barnes & Noble; taking the grandchildren here and there; reading books by the score (although NOTHING deep or meaningful - everything just purely for fun and enjoyment); taking care of my cat, which I didn't particularly want but the grandchildren did and could not have at their apartment.

I am finding retirement to be everything I want it to be which is a good thing. Maybe that is because I chose to retire and was not forced to retire. And also because I like me and spending my days with me suits me just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment