Thursday, November 4, 2010

Lying Prophets

I read something the other day written by a young man who professes to follow Christ. He is single and wrote "God told me" a particular woman was God's choice for him. They started seeing each other but she broke it off but he's not gonna give up. Made me think that maybe he will be arrested later as a stalker.

Of course he may be pursuing her in a very gentlemanly, casual, non-harassing way and may be prepared to give  the relationship the time and space it needs to actually determine if she will see him again. There was no indication of what he is doing to try to convince her God told him she's the "one". And she may well be the one for him but I wonder if God really told him or if his eyes or hormones told him.

That made me think about how casually people in the Church say, "God told me..." Many televangelists speak for God about health, wealth and all good things coming our way if we'll just sow a seed (always money) into their particular ministry. Sometimes people who have a determined attitude about what should or should not happen in a particular area of the Church or how particular people should act will say, "God told me..."

But back in the day of Jeremiah when the prophets were preaching health and prosperity, God called them lying prophets. The Bible tells us that in days of old God spoke through the prophets but now speaks to us through Jesus. So unless the "prophet" is quoting Jesus from Scripture when he says, "God told me..." I'm not sure I would believe him. I sure would hate to stand before God one day and have Him say, "I did not send them, nor did I command them or speak to them." In other words, they are liars.

No comments:

Post a Comment