Monday, September 17, 2012

Weird

I've just finished reading the book "Weird" by Craig Groeschel. It came out about a year ago and I'm sorry I just now got around to reading it.

The message of the book is that those who are followers of Jesus Christ are called to live differently than the rest of the world which should make us weird.

Unfortunately too often our lives are NOT different. We just happen to go to church. We tend to watch the same TV and movies, go into serious debt for stuff, climb the ladder of worldly success, get caught up in the "rat race" of activity for ourselves and our children, and get divorced just like the rest of the world.

This is the normal existence for most Americans, including those who are Christian, and it just isn't working. We're not happier or more fulfilled or more content because of all our stuff or all the activity we participate  in.

As I was reading in First Timothy this morning I was reminded, "Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content." 1 Timothy 6:6-7 (ESV)

How weird would it be if those who profess Christ really lived like they believed that and didn't feel they have to have the newest iPhone every time it comes out? What if we saved our money to pay for things before we bought them? Do any of us have that delayed gratification discipline any more?

When I stand before Jesus Christ one day and He looks at my life, what will He say? Well done! You used the resources and time I gave you to further my kingdom. Or will He say you squandered everything I gave you on you. I kept prompting you to give some of it away but you wouldn't.

I want to be weird in a good way; a way that acknowledges that this world is not my home and that all I am and all I have is because of Jesus Christ. I want to trust HIM so completely I will never doubt His ability and His desire to care for me as HE thinks best.

No comments:

Post a Comment