Saturday, April 27, 2013

Amazed by God

As I sit here this morning contemplating life and ministry and family and me, I am amazed and humbled at the thought that God cares for me. I don't doubt it, not for a second, but it still amazes me that He knows me personally and cares about me personally and speaks to me personally.

Thousands of years ago, David asked the question that is sometimes on my lips, "When I look at your  heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?" (Psalm 8:4 ESV) I think he probably wrote this when still a shepherd, sitting on a hillside at night watching over his father's sheep. I think I know what David was feeling because in the Caribbean on a very small island with no city and no street lights, I have looked up at a night sky so full of stars it took my breath away.

I am overwhelmed that God who created all those stars and set them in place and calls them by name also created me and loves me and calls me by name. He has a plan for me to help fulfill His purposes on this earth. I was created to live right now, as Esther was told, "...for such a time as this." (Esther 5:14)

I don't ever want to lose the sense of awe that comes from knowing the Creator of the universe. I don't ever want to lose sight of my need for relationship with Him. I don't ever want to take for granted the punishment Jesus bore for my sins. I want to obey Him when He asks me to do anything. I want to gratefully accept and acknowledge the blessings God pours into my life, realizing that everything I have and everything I am is from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment