Thursday, October 28, 2010

God's Sovereignty

Most of the time that I have "issues" with God is when I don't tremble before Him or fear Him as I should. God is THE Creator and Sustainer of the universe. He alone gives life to me day by day. He is the only wise God. He alone can judge my heart and my life. He alone can say "well done".

So why do I push Him aside at times? Why do I make my own decisions? Why do I fail to build the relationship with Him that I should? Why do I not surrender EVERY area of my life to Him? Why am I not ashamed of my thoughts and actions that are an affront to this holy God?

It is because I lose my focus on who God really is. I become complacent. He becomes a distant relative. But as I read His word, I see that I should be afraid of Him. Not because He will zap me with a lightening bolt but because He CAN.

God's love for me is so intense that He poured all His wrath on Jesus on the cross yet He says I should be holy for He is holy. How can I take that lightly? Fear of God is more than just awe at a sunset or marveling at the birth of a child. It is a real fear of God's power and sovereignty coupled with a confidence that God makes the way for me to live at peace with Him through Jesus.

Do I need to be afraid of God? Absolutely. Only He holds the keys to heaven or hell. Do I need to be afraid of God? Absolutely not. He is my Father. His love overwhelms me and assures me of His constant care for me.

1 comment:

  1. God alone initiates salvation. He always turns toward man first and seeks him, as when God walked in the Garden (Genesis 3:8). Man does not seek God or turn to him without God first calling man to Himself (John. 6:37, 44; 1 John. 4:10,19).

    Second, God’s initiative does not exclude man’s free response, but demands it (Catechism of the Catholic Church [Catechism], nos. 154, 155, 2002; Phil. 2:12, 13). In other words, God wills that man be free to choose His grace or reject it.

    Third, salvation is extended to each and every human person, not limited to just some, and one can fall away from grace (Hebrews 2:1-4; 6:4; 2 Peter 1:10; 3:9; 1 John 5:16, 17).

    Furthermore, it is imperative that once one is touched by grace, he perseveres in charity lest he forfeit the free gift of salvation (Lumen Gentium [LG], no. 14). Within the confines of these principles, Catholics have sought to understand the mystery of predestination. Though opinions and formulations have varied among Catholic theologians, with these principles left intact, there is room for legitimate speculation.

    The only proper framework to understand predestination must be rooted in the notion of a communion of persons in love. Why? The nature of God as Trinity is this very kind of communion and God created man to share in that “blessed life” (cf. Catechism, no. 1).

    This communion of love demands freedom of will. For love is not something thrust upon a person, but offered as a gift. This communion of love in the Trinity is also the basis for evangelization in the Church (cf. Catechism, no. 850). As this is the very essence of the relationship between God and man, everything in one way or another must refer back to it and be measured by it. As this was God’s purpose in creating man, it is also intimately tied to our redemption and our ultimate destiny. God is love (1 John 4:8).

    Salvation is the gift of God alone: Grace

    ReplyDelete