Thursday, October 7, 2010

Rejoice

I've not looked up a dictionary definition of the word rejoice but to me it means to be overwhelmingly glad or joyful but not necessarily overwhelmingly happy. "Happy" is based on circumstance and "joy" comes from the heart of God.

In the short letter to the Philippians, Paul uses the word rejoice 8 times. It does strike one as being rather contradictory to rejoice while one is in prison; while people are preaching with false motives; while many have turned their backs on this aging apostle. But Paul continues to find reason to rejoice and admonishes his friends in Philippi to rejoice as well.

Joy is part of the fruit of the Spirit but how often is my life characterized by real joy? How often have I grieved a holy God who rejoiced at sending His Son to die in my place by not rejoicing when I should?

The grace of God that has brought me from death to life is reason to rejoice if nothing else in my life ever goes the way I want it to (keyword there being "I"). I never want to lose sight of the great thing Jesus did for me. I never want to forget that God did EVERYTHING for me so that I can know Him and bring glory to Him and serve Him. If I get a "pass" on some hardship, that's a bonus but even if not, I will rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment