Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Afraid

How many times am I afraid to do what Jesus asks me to do? How many times am I like the disciples in Mark 4:35-41?

Jesus had been teaching and said let's go over there. Going over there meant getting in a boat and going across the lake. This in itself was not a problem for these guys. Several of them were fishermen and were used to handling a boat.

But then a storm came along. It was no longer easy. In fact the waves were so high the water was crashing into the boat and filling it with water. I can understand their fear, their uncertainty that they would be okay. They even went so far as to awaken Jesus and say don't you care?!

Hmmm...have I ever made that accusation against Jesus. I'm going along doing what I am supposed to be doing and trouble arises. Don't you care, Jesus? Why is this happening to me, Jesus? Where are You, Jesus? If I'm following You shouldn't it be smooth sailing with calm seas?

Jesus was right there with the disciples in the boat. He got up and calmed the wind and the waves. But He asked a very important question, "Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?" And that is the question He still asks whenever I am afraid. Afraid of the diagnosis the doctor gives. Afraid of the financial crisis that may be looming. Afraid of what the future may or may not hold. Have you no faith?

It's easy to have faith when all is sunshine and roses. But real faith is tested in the storms - when the waves are crashing all around. Jesus was right there in the boat with the disciples as they were doing what He had asked them to do. And yet they were afraid. Jesus is always in my "boat" as well. He has promised never to leave or forsake me. I should never be afraid with Jesus by my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment