Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sad, Sad, Sad

When I read about the Pharisees and their reaction to Jesus, it just makes me sad. Jesus healed a man's withered hand by simply saying, "Stretch out your hand...But the Pharisees went out and conspired against [Jesus], how to destroy Him." (Matthew 12:9-14) 

Later, after Jesus healed a demon possessed man, they said, "It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons." (Matthew 12:22-24)

As Jesus was telling parables one day, the chief priests and the Pharisees knew He was talking about them but they "were seeking to arrest Him." (Matthew 21:33-46)

And that doesn't count all the times they tried to trick Him with their questions about taxes and divorce and the resurrection and fasting and cleansing and the Sabbath. How could they do that when Jesus was right in front of them? It's just sad that they were so blind to who He really is!

But haven't I done those same things? How about before I surrendered to Christ? Didn't I sneer at His followers and think it was all rather dull and stupid?

And even now...do I ever worry when Jesus has said not to? (Matthew 6:25-34) Do I ever doubt His ability to see me through tough times? Do I refuse to tell others about Him because they might not like me any more or think I'm weird? Do my words and my thoughts and actions always line up; or do I say one thing and do another? Do I sometimes try to earn God's love by being "good"? Do I ever pat myself on the back for MY accomplishments rather than giving Jesus all the glory? Do I ever encounter someone and say, with pride, thank you that I am not like them rather than recognizing that I used to BE them and it is only by the grace of God that I am no longer them?

Hmmm. Could be very easy to take up the roll of Pharisee. It could be me that Jesus shakes HIS head over saying sad, sad, sad. Building a good relationship is hard work and even more so when it involves always denying myself. The Christian life goes against everything our society tells us, "If anyone would come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it." (Matthew 16:24-25) That's why I must spend time with Jesus each day. At the end of life I don't want Jesus to call me a hypocrite or deny me because I denied Him. I want my Master to say "well done!"

No comments:

Post a Comment