Monday, September 12, 2011

Miracles

Last Thursday I spent 13 hours on my feet at the NewSpring Leadership Conference (NLC) in Anderson, SC. This was a most amazing day. I arrived at 6 AM and soon met up with the Facilities Cleaning Crew. Heather and I volunteered for the women's bathroom downstairs just outside the main auditorium. Our job was to clean counters, sinks and toilets, refill paper towel and toilet paper holders, and empty trash after each 15 minute break (one an hour). While the facilities were in use, we wiped up water and soap that dribbled onto the counters from hand washing. 

While the ladies stood in line, I was able to engage the women in small talk about the day and their church back home. I believe everyone I spoke to lived east of the Mississippi River except one pastor's wife from England. I was glad to meet her because the church her husband and she lead is one that we - NewSpring - help support.

When I finished the last cleanup and walked out the door at 6:50 PM, I was worn out! I didn't get to hear the speakers but I will listen when the podcasts go up in a week or so. The men who spoke are some of the most innovative leaders in the Church today. 

One woman, late in the day, heard me make the comment that I have never experienced anything like NewSpring. We began to talk and she asked why I thought God was doing so many great things in and through this particular church.

I gave her several reasons. Our pastor, Perry Noble, is very open about the struggles he has faced, the sins that he has overcome, and the counseling he has to help him stay the course; he's a regular guy who has been touched by God. Perry always tells us what the Bible says and is very direct in telling us what we need to do to be obedient to Christ. We are told over and over, invite your friends - invite, invite, invite - so we do and unbelievers come and hear the gospel and Jesus saves them. Perry tells us every week, last week was good but this week is going to be better. This breeds an anticipation that God is going to show up and He is going to do amazing things that only He can do.

As I was reading in Matthew this morning I read about Jesus being rejected in His hometown of Nazareth. The Bible says that Jesus "did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief."  Then I read a great blog post by Pastor Steven Furtick entitled, "Jesus: What You See Is What You Get" on this same passage.

Too many times people in churches all across America don't expect Jesus to show up in powerful ways on Sunday - or any other day for that matter. So He doesn't. Not because He can't but because the people don't anticipate it. I don't ever want to get beyond the awe, the wonder that comes from encountering Jesus. I don't ever want to just go through the motions; I want to fully engage, fully anticipate that He will do something amazing in my life or lives of those around me. Miracles still happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment