Friday, September 2, 2011

Change

A lot of people don't like change. They always drive the same way to and from work or school or church. They eat lunch at the same place every weekend. They go to the same vacation spot every year. They sit in the same seat at church every week. A lot of people live by routine and are most comfortable with sameness.

I happen to like a certain amount of change. I drive different routes to and from work and church. Not every day but a couple of times a week. I especially like driving different routes home because it's OK if it takes me 10 or 15 minutes longer. I go to services at church at different times and sit in different places so I can I see different people.

I've changed jobs 4 times in 7 years (doing things I'd never done before) but only after 37 years at the same job. I changed churches but only after 23 years at the same church. I have found these changes to stimulating and definitely guided by the hand of God. Sometimes I wonder what I would be doing if I had been more attentive to God and the changes He asked me to make that I resisted long years ago.

As a follower of Jesus Christ my relationship with Him should always be growing, always changing, always seeing and hearing and understanding more about Him. If I'm not growing, not changing, I am stagnant. When I think of stagnant I see a stinking pond of scummy water. Maybe there is life there but it is not obvious to anyone. No one wants to jump in and swim around. My life in Christ is to be characterized by flowing rivers of living water. (John 7:38) Flowing rivers are moving and changing.

My church likes change as well. In fact one of our core values is growing things change. Since I've been at NewSpring during the last 3 years, our logo, our stated core values, our color scheme, the number of campuses, the number of people we serve, the way we celebrate Mother's Day, the location for the summer youth trip - all these have changed. We are growing so change is inevitable.

Just recently at the Greenville campus the Campus Pastor, the Discipleship Director, the Student Pastor, and the Audio Director changed. These changes did not come about because people left NewSpring or got fired or anything like that. Not at all. A couple were new hires but NewSpring is changing so the staff is constantly evaluated to be sure their gifts and talents are being utilized to the fullest so they are moving around. Well, except the former Student Pastor; Davey and Amanda are going to Indianapolis to plant a church.

The one thing that NEVER changes at NewSpring is the message of Jesus Christ alone for salvation. "And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under Heaven given among men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment