Sunday, November 1, 2009

Christmas Offering

Perry mentioned today that we will be taking a December/Christmas offering. He told us to begin praying about what we would give. Not just a "$5 thank you Jesus" offering but a real expression of God's faithfulness and my gratefulness.

As soon as he said "give", a dollar figure came into my head so I'm pretty certain that figure is what God would have me give back to Him. But that doesn't mean my mind is closed to what God might want me to do. I am open to whatever God wants from me. God may increase the figure but I certainly don't believe He would ask me to give less. I like it when God speaks and I am listening!

I agree with Perry that I need to give more to my local church than para-church organizations. Not that these organizations are unworthy, just that God asks me to support His church before everything else. Giving is as much an expression of my worship of God as any song I might sing, of any service I might perform, of any words I might speak.

Thank you, Jesus, for caring for me; for providing me with a job and income that I might give back to you. I want to be like the widow who gave out of her poverty - giving until it hurt - rather than those who had plenty and only gave a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment