Thursday, November 12, 2009

Christmas Time

I don't think I am a scrooge or a bah humbug person but I'm not particularly glad that Christmas music is already on the radio. Maybe it's because I get so tired of hearing the same songs over and over. Or maybe it's just a hold over from my retail days.

When I owned a retail store, we went to the gift shows in January to purchase Christmas merchandise for the upcoming season. That was 3 or 4 days of total immersion in Christmas. The merchandise would begin to arrive in my store about May. Over about 3 months merchandise would arrive, be unpacked, priced, repacked.

Because I owned a flower shop and things were hand-made, about September we began to make Christmas arrangements for tables, doors, mantels, etc. Then by mid to late October we began to put merchandise on the shelves...more and more until there was almost nothing but Christmas by Thanksgiving.

And Christmas was around (hopefully in lesser quantities) until the after Christmas sale. Then right after New Year and inventory, left-overs were packed up and 3 weeks later I went back to the show to buy Christmas for the upcoming season.


So maybe I just got Christmas overload for the 30 years I worked retail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment