Wednesday, March 10, 2010

God Is for Us

As I read through the Old Testament, I am confronted again and again with the fact that people never change. In the last chapters of Deuteronomy, God tells the Israelites that they will go into the land and get full and prosperous and forget about Him and start serving other gods.

We still do that today. When times are tough or scary, we seek God. When everything is moving along just fine and all our needs are being met, we forget about God and worship gods of recreation or leisure or money or nature or whatever.

The most interesting part about this passage to me is that God knew it before hand (He does know EVERY thing) and had Moses teach them a song that would comfort them when they were experiencing the curses God would inflict because of their disobedience.

In an earlier passage Moses tells how, when the people return to God, He will bring them back to their land after they have been scattered and how God will circumcise their hearts so they can love Him. God will enable them to love Him.

I love having a Father who has my back...who sees me wherever I am; who wants me to love Him so He enables me to do it; who comforts me in my godly grief over my sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment