Monday, March 8, 2010

I Will Be Safe

As I was reading in Deuteronomy, I came across this passage. Moses has been telling the Israelites how God will bless them if they obey God and how He will curse them if they turn aside to idols.

In the Church many of us think we are safe because we come to church and are good people but then go our own way. We may not think we are turning aside to idols but we have idols just the same.

In Deuteronomy the idols are of wood and stone. Our idols today are not figurines made in the shape of people or birds or animals but cars and TVs and computers. Sometimes our idols are people. One of the most popular TV shows is called American Idol and people dream of being that one person everyone idolizes and being rich and famous! Many people in America think that our President is our savior. Not just those who believe in Obama but those who will push for his replacement in the next election.

We think it is okay to just do our thing and God will be pleased. I'm better than that guy over there so I am safe. Perry said yesterday that money is the #1 competitor for the heart of man. If I have idols in my life, if my money is more important than anything else, then maybe, just maybe I am NOT safe.

The only real safety comes from knowing Jesus as Lord and Savior, having invited Him into my heart and surrendering my will and my way to Him. If I have idols floating around, things I would not give up or let go of, maybe I don't know Jesus at all. And that is definitely not safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment