Sunday, August 8, 2010

Fall from Heaven

Although Isaiah 14:12-14 is often quoted as the story of the fall of Lucifer from his place of prominence in Heaven, this passage is actually about the fall of Babylon.

But it doesn't matter who the topic of conversation is about because it is the story of all mankind. It is about me and it is my story as much as that of anyone else.

The "I" pronoun is the prominent feature of this passage. "You said in your heart, 'I will..., I will..., I will..., I will..., I will.'" Before I met Christ that was who I was...selfish, me focused, worshiping myself or my stuff or my resources or anything but God. Because of our sin nature, that is the story of each person until we meet Jesus and surrender all the "I" to Him.

The really scary part of this passage is verse 15, "But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit." Without Jesus I too would be in the pit and facing a life AND eternity without hope. I am so grateful that Jesus saved me and I want to share that as often as possible with those I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment