Monday, August 2, 2010

Stand Firm

In Isaiah 7, Ahaz has become king of Judah and some of the local tough guys decide to lay siege to Jerusalem. God sent Isaiah to Ahaz to tell him not to be afraid. He said you've heard that Rezin and Aram and Ephraim have plotted your ruin. But God said, "It's will not take place, it will not happen." And then He proceeds to tell Ahaz how these who are plotting against him will be destroyed. Then God says, "If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all."

Stand firm in your faith. What does that really mean? To me it means I should never doubt God. But how many times have I doubted God's presence or His leading or His care or His ability AND willingness to come through in a tough situation. Does doubt running below the surface of my thoughts, my Bible study, my prayers prevent God from acting on my behalf?

In James 1:2-8 we are told "But when he asks [God], he must believe and not doubt." James goes on to say the one who doubts should not expect to receive anything from God.

How can I say I believe God is who He says He is and still have doubts, still have fears, still wonder what will happen next? Although God told Ahaz what would happen next, I don't always get to know how my situation will end. But God still says, "Stand firm!"

No comments:

Post a Comment