Monday, September 13, 2010

The Blessed Life

In yesterday's sermon from Perry at NewSpring, he was talking about the blessed life and how it is better to give than to receive. I believe that wholeheartedly. He also talked about not being able to out give God. I believe that wholeheartedly as well.

Perry told how he felt led to give someone $1000. He talked to his wife and then wrote the check. Later in the day he learned he had received a rebate check for $1348 so he made $348 off the deal. I know that happens but more money in my pocket may not be the end result of giving as God leads. Only in America do we equate blessing with cash. Getting more money back may or may not happen when I give as God directs.

I certainly don't believe that just because you are poor you will be more blessed by God. But in James we are told the those poor in the eyes of the world are often rich in faith. For those who love Jesus, being poor can be a blessing because they have to rely on Him rather than their money. One example of poverty in the Bible is the story of the widow's mite - she gave all that she had into the treasury of the church by giving two small coins. Jesus doesn't say she is more blessed than the rich people who gave lots of money but her story has been told for over 2000 years as an example of sacrificial giving. I have seen this lived out in Kenya!

By retiring I am taking a 42% cut in pay which actually puts me at poverty level - if I didn't have savings. I'm often asked if I have enough money in savings to live out my life and I always say I don't have a clue. I don't intend to get into my savings for daily expenses but I may give my savings away over time.

Even though I am at the poverty level financially, am I blessed? You betcha! I am breathing and walking around, I have friends, I have family, I have a home, I have food, I have a car, I have no debt except my house. God has given me opportunities to see life change in my family and in friends and acquaintances. My grandson has given his heart to Jesus. My son and his wife are becoming active in church. They are reading their Bibles and seeking to know God and how He would have them live. I wouldn't take a million bucks in exchange for those things. I truly am blessed beyond my wildest dreams!!

No comments:

Post a Comment