Friday, April 29, 2011

Did God Do That?

Over the past several years, the world has experienced natural disasters again and again and again. I may be wrong but it seems to me the numbers and frequency are going up. Earthquakes, floods, fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards.

There were terrible tornadoes last weekend all across the southern US with nearly 300 dead. As I watched the news reports I heard one woman say - it was God's will. And another, speaking of her survival, said lots of prayers went up and thank God He was listening.

I don't presume to be smart enough or theological enough to understand all the implications but I know these types of remarks always create a tension in me. I believe absolutely that God is sovereign over all the universe. I believe nothing happens without His knowledge.

Yet I also believe that Satan is the prince of this world. Defeated at the cross but not yet out of business. I believe creation is under the curse of sin, longing for the day when perfection will again be the rule.

So I guess the real question for me is what constitutes God's will and what constitutes God's permission and is there really a difference. I don't know why God doesn't intervene or why He allows all sorts of evil to run rampant. I guess it's really not MY business. I just need to believe that God is who He says He is and that His plan for this world and my life specifically are in good hands...and I don't mean an insurance company.

So I guess my conclusion is I'm not sure it even matters if I contemplate these things because true understanding may not come until after I am no longer part of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment