Saturday, April 23, 2011

My Body Longs for You

So I'm still pondering Psalm 63. I actually like it when God gets hold of me through His word and I read something over and over as I let Him really speak to me.

As I was thinking about "my body longs for you" all sorts of longings came to mind. There was a time in my life when my body longed for a cigarette or alcohol or any type of drug induced high. There have been times when my body longed for sex. There are times now when my body longs for chocolate or some other scrumptious food. Although those longings are physical there are also strong mental things going on to create those physical longings.

As I thought about those physical longings, that can even be called addictions, I began to think about being addicted to God. That sounds so weird but its really not. And not I'm a "better" Christian than you because I love God more. But an intense longing to be with Him. To talk to Him. To recognize Him actively at work in my life. An addiction that causes me to rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; to go and make disciples; to love my neighbors and my enemies; to be holy; to have deep faith.

I fall short in so many areas of living up to God's standards (thank You, Jesus, for covering my sin) but because I don't always have that intense longing for God, I am the loser. God has so much more He wants to do through me and for me and in me and I bypass opportunities to encounter God in miraculous ways because I am lazy or selfish or just plain sinful.

Give me a longing, Lord, to know You more. To appropriate the power of Your Spirit within me. Give me an addiction that can only be satisfied by Your presence in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment