Saturday, April 16, 2011

Home Sweet Home

I've been home for a few days now but I'm still trying to catch up on my sleep. My roommate on the trip woke me up every night at least once and sometimes 2 or 3 times. She has bad dreams and becomes very vocal during her dreams shouting at the people who are trying to steal from her or hurt her. She's never been to a counselor to try to find out and/or deal with the "whys" of her dreams.

The weather on our trip was beautiful - no rain or rough seas, although it was pretty hot most afternoons. We had a great waiter in the main dining room who kept us laughing. He's headed home to Bali in mid-May and is really looking forward to seeing his family. We told him we might just show up on his doorstep.

One of the things I find most interesting about cruising is the great variety of nationalities on board the ship. Just in our dining room, 32 different nationalities were represented in the staff. Life aboard the ship for the workers is very hard. Their hours are long and the expectations are high but they make more money than they can make at home. The waiters work six months and get 2 months off then start another 6 months on a different ship. The higher ranking employees, like our maitre'd, are on the ship for 11 months before a break. Not nearly as glamorous a job as it might appear on the surface. I sure did appreciate all their hard work to make our trip a fun vacation.

And Rosie, my cat, survived the 5 days without me. So glad I didn't have to board her in a kennel while I was gone. I don't think she would have been as glad to see me if she hadn't been able to stay in her familiar surroundings while I was away.

Two couples in our group are retired and stay gone more than they stay home. I'm not there yet. I love to go away for awhile but I would much rather be here than anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment