Friday, April 22, 2011

My Soul Thirsts for You

When I woke up this morning Psalm 63 was running through my thoughts. So I got up and read it and really couldn't get much beyond the first verse because I kept coming back to it.

"O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for You, my body longs for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water."

And I was troubled in my spirit. God IS my God but that is so easy to say. Even people who don't have any particular kind of faith or belief will spout "O my god" when they encounter something unexpected. (The little "g" is intentional because I don't believe they are speaking to my God - the Creator of heaven and earth and the Father of my Lord.)

But earnestly seeking, thirsting, longing for God...is that characteristic of my life? I wish it were true of every day of my life but it is not. I read my Bible, I pray, I read books and blogs by Christian authors but that may not be EARNESTLY seeking; that is not necessarily thirsting and longing for GOD.

Maybe I'm just seeking knowledge about God rather than God Himself. Maybe I'm looking for a good feeling. Maybe I want the satisfaction of doing the right thing.

Make me thirsty, Lord. Give me a longing for You. Help me to seek YOU as a person - my Father, my Savior, my Lord. O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek You, my soul thirsts for You, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment