Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Child-like Faith

Perry made a statement Sunday that I totally agree with. He said the Bible is the inerrant, infallible Word of God. I believe that with all my heart. Sometimes I read something and wonder why God allowed it to happen or why He allowed certain people to be killed, especially children. Sometimes I just don't understand but I accept it all as part of God's revelation of Himself to man.

We had a brief discussion last week at home group about whether the earth is relatively young or millions of years old. We also touched on the other people in Genesis when Cain left home and found a wife.

I've thought about that a lot over the last week. I've read that portion of Genesis any number of times but this week I came to the conclusion again that if the Bible says God created everything in 6 days, I believe it was 6 literal days. Not millions of years or even 1000's. And if the Bible says Eve is the mother of all the living, I believe it. And that the flood covered all the earth even to the mountain tops and all the people and animals not on the ark drowned, I believe that too. I won't argue with anyone about their views but I have concluded I believe what the Bible says.

I have struggled at times to have child-like faith, just to take God at His word. I believe He gave us the ability to think and to reason and to search the scriptures for His truth but not to question what He says.

I can't answer questions about the ice age or the dinosaurs or carbon dating or how long it takes a diamond to form. I can't explain light years or black holes or the expanding universe or if there are people on other planets. I don't understand famine and poverty and the struggles most of the world faces. There are lots and lots of things I just don't know.

But I do know that God created me and loves me and watches over me and takes delight in me and adopted me and will keep me His for all eternity. As I think about that it brings tears to my eyes - the awesomeness of it just about overwhelms me. Because I know He loves me, I know I can trust Him and trusting Him means I can believe Him - even about the things I don't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment