Wednesday, May 26, 2010

God Confirms

Today I went back to my "old" church for the funeral of a friend. It was the first time I'd been back in over 2 years and I have to say God confirmed in a very powerful way that I am exactly where He wants me to be. Although I was on staff at the church for 2 years, I had known for several years prior to my going to work there that God wanted me to leave. But I was disobedient.

I was comfortable where I was. I liked the ministries I was part of. I knew just about everybody - and they knew me - even though there were several thousand members. I'd built lots of friendships over the course of 22 years there. But I was becoming discontent because I knew God was telling me it's time to go.

Although I never verbally disagreed with the leadership, I found myself disagreeing mentally with a lot of things. After I went on staff, I began to disagree with even more. It became obvious that I could not stay on staff so that job ended.

I stayed at the church for about 6 more months - in the choir, running camera, heading the prayer ministry until one day I just said I can't do this any more. So I walked away - with notice to my pastor, the music dept, and the media dept. I didn't have any idea what God had in store. Now I'm just sorry I didn't leave many years earlier when I knew that's what God wanted me to do.

You'd think I would learn. I wasted many years wandering in the desert, in sin and disobedience, outside the body of Christ. Here I was wasting years in sin and disobedience INSIDE the body of Christ. When God says do it, I should just do it. Why, oh why, am I so stubborn? So slow to obey?

No comments:

Post a Comment