Thursday, May 20, 2010

Random Verses

As I was flipping through 2 Chronicles this morning to find where I left off in my reading, some of the passages I had underlined caught my eye.

"Lord, there is no one like You to help the powerless against the mighty. Help us, O Lord our God, for we rely on You..." 14:11

"If you seek [the Lord] He will be found by you, but if you forsake Him, He will forsake you." "They sought the Lord eagerly and He was found by them and He gave them rest on every side" 15:2,15

"For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are FULLY committed to Him." 16:9 (my emphasis)

"For we have no power..." "We do not know what to do..." "Do not be afraid or discouraged...for the battle is not yours but God's." 20:12,15

"[Amaziah] did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, but not wholeheartedly." 25:2

"But after Uzziah became powerful, his pride led to his downfall." 26:16

I love the Old Testament! It is an action/adventure book, a fantasy book, a love songs book, a "self-help" book, with war and intrigue and hands writing on walls and proverbs and prophecy and fire falling from heaven and more and more and more.

But all of this is about God as He is revealing Himself to the sons of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Israel). He wants to reveal Himself to me too. Thats why He gave us the Bible. If I only read parts of it I don't see the big picture of who God is and how His hand has been on the lives of man from the beginning of time. He always brings about what He says He will whether redemption or disaster. The OT particularly helps me to see God's power, majesty and faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment