Thursday, May 6, 2010

National Day of Prayer

Today is the National Day of Prayer. This started as a way to bring Christians together to pray for America and her leaders. That is a good thing because God tells us we are to pray for those in authority over us. Too many people who claim to be Christ followers want to ridicule our president and not pray for him and those who are closest to him.

As I think about it, though, I wonder if this has been overtaken in places by political correctness. I would be curious to know how many prayers invoke the name of God but refuse to mention Jesus as the real source of change for our country and the world.

I also think about those in authority and it just dawned on me that I can't remember when I have prayed for my boss. Authority in my life takes all kinds of shapes - at church, Kevin who heads production, Catherine who heads volunteers, Howard who is campus pastor, Perry who leads it all. In society there are those in my community like the mayor and elected officials who have authority to make decisions on my behalf. That carries over into the state and national arenas as well.

So do I pray for them fervently or even regularly? Unfortunately the answer is no. I have been asking God what thing do I lack. Perhaps this is it...prayer for those that I do not pray for.

No comments:

Post a Comment