Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Stiff-necked People

Nehemiah 9 is a great chapter to read! I've read it several times over the last few days. It recounts all the things God has done for the people of Israel over the years and how the people sinned. It also tells of the results of that sin but that God in His mercies forgives and restores and brings them back again and again when the people repent.  God still does that for every sinner who repents.

The description "stiff-necked" is often used in the Bible to describe Israel as it is in Nehemiah 9. That term brings two images to my mind and both have been descriptions of me.

The first is someone with head held high and chin jutted out in defiance and pride. An I'll do it MY way attitude. A can't make me attitude.

The second is a religious head that won't bow before a holy God. I think of the Pharisee who prayed saying thank you that I am so much better than everyone else. It was the tax collector who bowed his head and said have mercy on me who was justified before God. That's how I need to approach God.

Being a stiff-necked person only leads to disaster. Teach me, Lord, to trust You and Your ways, to know that Your plans are better than my plans. That without You I am nothing and have nothing. Help me to bend my neck and my knees willingly to You in submission and worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment