Sunday, May 2, 2010

Lots of Churches

This morning I went to church early to help prepare for communion. Because the Fuse guys who help with load in and production setup stayed to help with communion, we were done by 7:40 rather than 8:30 as had been expected. I didn't have enough time to go back home and come back again and too much time to sit around and wait. So I did the next best thing...drove through downtown Greenville and out Anderson Rd (Hwy 81) and ended up in Anderson in time for the 9:15 service. (I really miss going to Anderson!)

As I was riding down the road I saw lots of churches along the way. They were mostly Baptist churches of some flavor but they were large and small, some with old buildings, some new, some "expanded". The expanded ones often have 2 fronts with columns - a small building with a flat top where the steeple used to be and the new, larger, taller sanctuary that now sports the steeple.

As I looked at all these churches, I wondered what God is up to in their midst. Do they recognize what He is doing? Were they expecting God to show up in their services today? I wondered what would happen if I went in in my jeans and flip flops.

But of course the question returns to me...do I expect to meet God each time I go to church? What do I do to prepare myself to meet Him? And then do I expect to see Him all throughout the week in the pages of Scripture, working around me in the office, in my family, in my finances, in my thoughts, in my attitudes? Because I am His child, He is always there! He NEVER leaves ME but I often leave Him.

And then, of course, that tied right in to Perry's sermon. What thing do I lack? What am I holding back from God?

No comments:

Post a Comment