Monday, July 5, 2010

I Give Myself to Prayer

I ran across this little sentence in Psalm 109 the other day. David is voicing a complaint to God about men who are lying and deceitful, who have become his enemies and then he says, "...but I give myself to prayer."

That made me stop and think. Do I give myself to prayer? Praying is probably one of the hardest things I do. It is so easy to just mouth a "Forgive me" or "Help me" or something similar without really getting into a deep conversation with God. But if I want to hear from God, I've got to get into those real conversations with him. And that takes more than a couple of minutes of going over my to do list for God.

It means taking time to approach a holy God with an attitude of meekness and humbleness. It means praising Him because He is worthy of praise. It means confessing my sins. It means remembering and thanking him for His faithfulness. And THEN I can offer up my to do list but mixed into all of this is time to listen. A lecture is when one person speaks and another listens. A conversation is give and take, both speak at times and both listen at times. Prayer is to be a conversation WITH God and that means I have to stop talking and just listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment