Saturday, July 17, 2010

Lingo

It has been a busy day. Nate had a birthday party at No Name Skate Park in Greenville. I helped transport the boys, ages 9-15, who are Nate's friends and skating buddies.

On the way home I enjoyed listening to the 3 boys that were in the car with me. They were speaking a language that I hear from Nate on occasion but this was non-stop...rock the fakie, 50-50, drag your tail, spitfire, mini mini, drop in, sick, pop shove it... I can't remember all the terms. Every trick and every ramp has a special name. Their skateboards have different kinds of boards, grip tape, trucks, wheels and bearings. These kids really live and breathe skateboarding.

I guess every activity is like that to some degree. Each has its own names and unique lingo. It's fun to listen to these kids be so excited about what they can do and so willing to help each other learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment