Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Prophecy Fulfilled

I was reading about Phillip in the book of Acts the other day when he went running up to the chariot of the eunuch, heard him reading the Scripture, asked did he understand, then explained - beginning there - all about Jesus.

I remember on the road to Emmaus after Jesus was resurrected, He met some disciples and starting with Moses told them all about the Himself and how He must suffer and die and be resurrected.

As I've been reading through the Old Testament, I've read all those prophecies but how ready am I to tell that story with chapter and verse. Even though I may be able to say this is in Genesis or Isaiah or Zechariah, I don't think I am "up to snuff" when it comes to knowing where something actually is in Genesis or Isaiah or Zechariah.

Then I wonder is it because I don't think it is important to know that? Do I need to be a Biblical scholar to do that? Even if I don't memorize the verses or know the chapter in the book - or even the book itself - should I be able to tell the story from scripture to anyone who might ask, including the Old Testament prophecies and how they were fulfilled in Jesus Christ?

Remembering where they are will be the hard part. I read just the other day in Zechariah about the king coming riding on a donkey, on a colt the foal of a donkey, but WHERE was it?? Maybe I need to make notes as I read, not after. DUH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment