Friday, August 24, 2012

If

If is such a little word. You wouldn't think such a little word would carry so much weight. But in Scripture it does. Jesus makes several "if" statements in John 15 (ESV).

"If anyone does not abide in me...." 
"If you abide in me and my words abide in you..."
"If you keep my commandments...."
"...if you do what I command you."
"If the world hates you..."
"If you were of the world..."
"If they persecuted me..."
"If I had not come and spoken to them..."
"If I had not done...the works that no one else did..."

The "if" is always a conditional statement with a "then" implied.

"...he is thrown away like a branch and withers..."
"...ask whatever you wish and it will be done for you."
"...you will abide in my love..."
"You are my friends..."
"...know that it hated me before it hated you."
"...the world would love you as its own..."
"...they will also persecute you."
"...they would not have been guilty of sin..."
"...they would not be guilty of sin..."

No comments:

Post a Comment