Friday, August 17, 2012

The Days Are Evil

Some of the people I am friends with on Facebook (who are people I actually know) are convinced that our President is evil. They post all sorts of "Christian" political ads against Mr. Obama and for Mr. Romney, as if our President controls the destiny of America. Nothing wrong with being political, it just needs to have the proper perspective. Only Jesus knows and controls the future - for me personally and for this country. Only Jesus can make the heart changes that are needed in individuals, whether great or small in influence, to cause people to do the "right thing". 

Paul spoke of the days in which he lived and characterized them as evil. "Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is." Ephesians 5:15-17 (ESV)

Evil has been around since Adam and Eve turned their backs on God to do what they wanted rather than what God wanted. The first murder happened between their sons, Cain and Abel. (Genesis 3-7) It doesn't matter what form the evil takes the only answer is always Jesus.

But then those verses above make me have to ask, how do I make the best use of my time? I certainly don't think it is in vilifying the President or in promoting his opponent. I do need to pray for them and I need to ask God for wisdom in casting my ballot. But I believe I am to be more concerned with those I know personally who don't know Jesus and living my life in such a way that Jesus if glorified.

At NewSpring my Pastor often says we care about the numbers because every number has a name and every name has a story and every story matters to God. I really like that. The thing is some (and maybe it's just 1) of those numbers/names/stories is someone Jesus wants me to talk to or invite to church or take to lunch, making good use of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment