Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I Saw the Lord

Isaiah 6 is one of my favorite passages in all the Bible. In vs 1-8, Isaiah tells how God allowed him to have a vision of the throne room of God where God is sitting on the throne, high and lifted up, and the train of His robe filled the temple.

I like the fact that God is sitting; suggests to me that He certainly isn't worried about anything. He's not pacing the courts of Heaven wondering what to do next. If I have issues surrounding me, I have a tendency not to sit still; maybe not pacing exactly but distraction, wandering around the house. Makes me also wonder how great He is if just the TRAIN of his robe fills the whole temple.

Then Isaiah sees the seraphim, or the burning ones, whose only purpose is to fulfill God's every command. As they fly ceaselessly around the throne room, they constantly call to one another, "Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, the whole earth is full of His glory." I imagine this to be said sort of like a round, where one group says the 1st half and as they start the 2nd half, another group starts the 1st half. Or maybe one group echoes the other. However it is, it is constant. Every time I hear someone say they don't like songs that repeat the verse or chorus over and over, I wonder if they will be ready for this continual song of Heaven.

Then there is "Woe is me!" ANY time I am confronted by God, I should say woe is me because I too am a person of unclean lips, a sinner who can not stand in the presence of a holy God. EXCEPT that just as God cleansed the sin of Isaiah with the burning coal, He cleansed my sin with the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross of Calvary.

And once his sin was forgiven, what was Isaiah's response to God's call to action? "Here am I, send me." That also should be my response to God - send me. Send me out into the world to speak His name, His love, His salvation, His grace, His mercy, His judgment. How many times do I know what God wants me to do but let the busyness of life or fear or laziness or whatever keep me from doing it?

No comments:

Post a Comment