Monday, June 29, 2009

What Do I Do Now?

Each day of our trip we had a morning devotion led by Jake Beatty and then an evening discussion time about what we saw and felt during the day.

One of the questions asked was what do we do now? How do we keep the missions spirit alive? How do we translate all the compassion for all the needs into practical things at home?

That is a really hard thing to do. Now, after a week, I'm back in my routines at work, at home, at church, with the grandkids. I do think a lot about the people I met and the lives they live. I hope that I will pray for them for a long time as God reminds me of them and their needs. But we have children here in America that also go to bed hungry at night; people that don't have jobs or homes or any of the things that most of us think of as essential.

How can I use my experiences in Kenya to help me be more compassionate toward those who live all around me? I have served at the soup kitchen in Spartanburg off and on for a couple of years but that is so irregular since I am in a different church now with different schedules. I have served some since going to NewSpring but I seem to be "on" with the production team when my friends are at the soup kitchen.

I still want to learn how to teach English as a second language and am looking into that. I guess the main thing is to stay prayed up and ask God to show me what He would have me do. He will direct me to opportunities to share His love and His salvation with those I come into contact with.

No comments:

Post a Comment