Monday, June 29, 2009

Isaiah

I've just finished reading the book of Isaiah. I find this book to be filled with hope with all the passages that relate to Jesus and His coming. But I also find that God is very strong in His vengeance against those who do wrong.

A couple of passages that are really my favorites: Isaiah 49:15-16 and Isaiah 66:1-2. In the first passage God says I will never forget you. Why, He says, I have even engraved you on the palm of my hand. One of the guys on our trip to Kenya had an arm full of tattoos. I think of God like that when I read this passage...He has tattooed my name or my image or something on His hand. He couldn't forget me without that but I think He says that to reassure me. "Even if a mom could forget her child, I will never forget you!" How comforting that is especially when times are hard or things are just not going right or I don't "feel" God's presence. Even when I forget Him in the busyness of my life, when I fail to spend time in prayer or reading God's word, HE never forgets me!

The 2nd passage tells me that God esteems those who are humble and contrite of spirit and tremble at His word. I want to tremble...at the majesty, the holiness, the power, the creativity, the salvation, the faithfulness, and so much more. I want to be in awe of God. I don't ever want to take God for granted or bring Him down to my level. I want to KNOW that He is bigger and better and purer and higher and worthier than me. He is NOT my grandpa or Santa Claus or anyone I can compare Him to. Sometimes I have a tendency to "normalize" God and there is nothing about Him that is normal by human standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment