Monday, June 22, 2009

Worship - God's Way, Sunday, June 14

We headed back to Segera Mission for Sunday services. About half our group stayed at Segera; the other half walked about an hour through the countryside to another small church. I stayed at the mission.

To say the service was different is, I think, a compliment to the Kenyans. One of the first things I think we all noticed was the attitude of prayer. Even though the service had started and we were standing and singing, late comers - men and women - sat down and prayed before joining in the music. There was prayer and singing, testimonies by elders, more singing and prayer and testimonies by our group, scripture reading and more singing. An offering was taken and people with absolutely nothing found something to give. Everyone was smiling and singing and dancing and having a great time.

What was even more remarkable was that some of these people had walked for over an hour to get there...with small children on their backs, or crippled legs, or bare feet. They wanted more than anything to come to church to worship God.

We had been told in advance to be prepared to share our favorite verse. Mine is Romans 15:13 which I did share - "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust is Him, so that you might overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." But before we got up to speak God overwhelmed me with the verses in Revelation 7. So I shared that too. I really believe I got to see a glimpse of heaven...every nation and tribe and people and language worshiping God together. Here I was in a service being spoken in 3 languages with people vastly different than me in color and dress and tradition but we were all worshiping the same God because of Jesus! I was overcome with the greatness of our God, the omnipresence of God, the majesty of God. It was without a doubt one of the most meaningful worship services I have been in.

No comments:

Post a Comment