Thursday, February 10, 2011

Contentment

Philippians 4 is one of my favorite chapters in Paul's letters. He says be full of joy. Don't worry about anything but pray about EVERYTHING. Think good thoughts. Be content with whatever you have, no matter your circumstances.

Sounds almost impossible. But "be full of joy" is completed with "in the Lord". Don't worry? Tell God everything and thank Him for all He has done, THEN I will experience God's peace. Think about what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and worthy of praise as I continue to put into practice (be a doer of the word) what I have learned. THEN the peace of God will be with me.

And is contentment even possible in this day and age? Paul said he learned to be content with whatever he had whether much or little. He has learned the secret - "I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."

Too often I focus on me - how I was hurt, what I don't have, what I can't do. After all, isn't that the American way? We all want more and more and more. We're made to feel we haven't made it unless we own a home. Or we need a new car so we are not embarrassed by our current car. Or this credit card so we can save 1% of all we spend (the more you spend the more you save - HA!) or get rewards. Or this TV so we can watch in style. Consumerism is what drives our economy (and fills our landfills).

Paul says that is the wrong focus. Focus on God and His provision and be thankful for what I DO have, especially His salvation through Jesus Christ. With the right focus (which leads to guarding my heart and my mind) I can have a whole new outlook on life. I can have God's peace. I can have contentment in my current state of affairs. I can rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment