Monday, February 14, 2011

Whatever You Do

"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." Colossians 3:17

"Whatever you do, work heartily as for the Lord and not for men" Colossians 3:23

These passages made me stop and think about the things I do - or used to do. When I was working, how much of what I did was done in the name of Nancy because I was good at what I did? Did I work heartily for the Lord or for a paycheck and promotion? Did I remember to give thanks to God because He gave me the ability to do what I did?  And what about now? As I spend my time volunteering, do I remember to thank God for the opportunities to serve?

When I stand before God one day, I want my time as a business owner and subsequently as an employee to be something that does not burn up as inconsequential because that was such a huge part of my life - 8 to 10 hours a day for years and years. The relationships I formed with business associates, customers and clients were opportunities God put before me. Was I sensitive to God's leading when He directed me to speak of His love or to offer a word of encouragement or perhaps a word of correction? And was I obedient to do what He asked? I can't change any of that now but hopefully I do still have years of service ahead of me.

Now that I am retired, it seems harder sometimes to keep that focus of doing everything for the Lord, especially on days when I am not doing something specific. But as I volunteer at Mobile Meals and at NewSpring, I want the tasks I do and the words I speak to be not my own but God working in and through me.

I also have more time to spend with my grandchildren. Nate, at age 11, is especially eager to learn about God and I love being able to talk to Him and take him to FUSE and to things like Winter Jam. He and I have a special bond and of course I want him to love Grandma but more than that I want to be sure our relationship leads him to love Jesus with all his heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment