Friday, February 4, 2011

Justified, Sanctified, Glorified

It seems preaching in these days doesn't use the terms justification and sanctification or glorified as they relate to a Christ follower although these words are used many times in the Bible. Maybe it is just that the definitions are used rather than the words themselves.

Justification is a legal term. The Bible often speaks of our being justified (Romans 3:24 & 8:30Galatians 2:16 are just a few examples) which means declared innocent or guiltless. It means I have been acquitted of the charges brought against me by my sin.

Along with justification comes sanctification. (John 17:19, Hebrews 10:10, 1 Corinthians 6:11) When I am sanctified I am made holy, set apart and consecrated to God.

But then I am also glorified which means to cause to be more splendid or excellent than would normally be considered. This is not for my sake but so that Jesus Christ might be glorified through me. (2 Thessalonians 1:12,
Romans 8:17)

Considering these words and their definitions and the Bible passages that use them helps me better understand my standing with God. He CHOSE me for justification; He CHOSE me for sanctification; He CHOSE me to be glorified and that just blows me away. (John 6:65, Ephesians 1:11) Remembering all the while that "God so loved the WORLD, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment