Friday, February 4, 2011

Memorizing Scripture

Perry occasionally asks us to memorize a verse of Scripture as he did a few weeks ago - Ephesians 3:20. I had Nate with me at church that morning and he started memorizing it as I drove us home. Since I want to encourage his new found faith in God and desire to read the Bible, I memorized it along with him.

After I got home I began to think about the verses (and some lengthy passages) that I had memorized over the years. I realized that I no longer remember a lot of them completely. Or if I remember the verse I have forgotten its chapter and verse location in the Bible.

I often quote the Bible when I send emails to those who have requested prayer because it is not my words but the words of God that will have power in their lives. Usually I use a keyword search and just find them on BibleGateway.com. I know the passage is in Psalms or John or wherever and I know enough of it to find it easily but I have been under conviction that I need to know EXACTLY where the verse is and EXACTLY what it says. Most of the time I prefer the English Standard Version translation but do still use the NIV in the 1984 edition.

Anyway in Psalm 119:11 says "I have stored up Your word in my heart that I might not sin against You." Verse 105 states "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says "All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work."

God has been showing me that His word cannot be these things in my life if I don't really know His word. I find it is much harder now at age 62 to memorize than it was at age 42 but with God's help, I will once again store up His word in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment