Monday, February 21, 2011

Loving God

Loving God = obedience.

Often I think of loving God as serving or tithing or worshiping or going to church, which in a way I guess it is. But Jesus said, "Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me. If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word..." John 14:21, 23

I can not keep any of His word if I don't know what He says by regularly reading my Bible. I also can not keep part of His word and ignore the rest. He says the greatest commandment is to "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." Mark 12:30 That means foregoing a LOT of worldly distractions and desires.

And if I keep that commandment, a few others will naturally follow love my enemies and my neighbors, be generousforgive, make disciples. Some I  find easy to keep, some not so easy. But whether it is easy or hard is not the issue. Do I make excuses? Do I rationalize? Or do I love Jesus enough to be obedient - especially when it is hard.

The law was given to show us our need for a Savior and our inability to be saved by the law. Because we are under grace some people consider these Old Testament commandments to be outdated. But if I love Jesus, I will obey the commandments God has given. Fortunately the Holy Spirit convicts me of sin so that I can be obedient and thus show my love for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment