Thursday, February 17, 2011

Walking with God

I've just read Walking with God by John Eldredge. Talking to Him. Hearing from Him. Really.

This book revolves mostly around 3 things - the heart is central to the Christian life, we are invited into conversational intimacy with God, and spiritual warfare is real.

Several things struck me as I read. First was that the Bible is not a book of exceptions. If God spoke to Abraham, Samuel, David, Noah, Moses, Hagar (a servant girl), Ananias and so many others and gave us their stories, why would He not also speak to us. Like God would say, "Here are hundreds of inspiring and hopeful stories about how I spoke to My people in this and that situation. Isn't it amazing? But you can't have that; I don't do that anymore."

Developing conversational intimacy with God takes time and a willingness to really listen for God's voice. It may also mean dealing with past hurts and places where my heart is closed off as well as being willing to do what God tells me to do - which may not be what I want to do. But obeying God is much better in the long run.

A question he asked I need to continue to think about is how much has God offered of Himself to me and I've chosen other things? I thought how true that has been in my life, sometimes I choose God, sometimes other things. My experience has been that choosing other things has not gone well for me.

When we blow it for whatever reason, the enemy comes in as the accuser to tell us how unfaithful or worthless or unlovable we are or how far we are from God. We need to be discerning of the thoughts that assault us. Genuine conviction from the Holy Spirit brings repentance, not judgement and contempt. Genuine conviction brings us back to God, it does not push us away.

I want to read this book again as well as watch the video on the website (about 90 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment